Tips for Hiring Lawyers that Handle Car Accidents
Following a car accident, there are a number of steps that a victim must take in order to preserve their right to recoup damages, such as filing a police report, notifying the insurance company of the accident, seeking medical care, and, oftentimes, hiring an attorney. But while the first few steps may be clear, finding the right car accident attorney can be difficult; there are hundreds of attorneys to choose from. If you’ve been in a car accident, here are some tips for finding lawyers that handle car accidents–
Focus on Your Specific Car Accident Type
The first tip for finding an attorney who can adequately represent you is to search for an attorney who has experience handling cases similar to yours. Take time to research a lawyer’s practice areas and case history, and if you cannot find the information you’re looking for online, ask.
Searching for attorneys in your area is recommended, especially as you will likely be interacting with the attorney on a regular basis, and may be inconvenienced by having to travel long distances for in-person meetings (especially as you recover from injuries). An attorney who is local to you will also likely have more experience working with local insurance adjusters and courts and should have more developed knowledge of the applicable laws and regulations relating to where your accident occurred. These elements can all prove helpful throughout the claims and litigation processes.
If you’ve narrowed your search down to a few attorneys near you who focus on car accident cases similar to yours, ask for a free consultation with each of the law firms. A good personal injury lawyer will happily offer you a free case review, which provides you with an opportunity to ask questions such as:
- Who will be working on my case?
- What’s your case success rate? (Obviously, you want an attorney with a strong record of success and large settlements.)
- How many cases like mine have you handled in the past? (Again, don’t opt for an attorney who doesn’t have experience handling cases like yours.)
- What will my role throughout the process be? (The attorney should be honest and upfront about what’s expected from you, including how much time you should plan to commit.)
- How do you charge? (Never, ever hire a personal injury attorney who charges hourly or upfront fees; your attorney should work on a contingency fee basis.)
These are just a handful of important questions that you should ask a lawyer before hiring. You can also use online services, such as the State Bar of Texas’s website, to look up lawyers and their bar standing.
Call Our Law Firm for Your Free Consultation Today
Our law firm has experienced lawyers that handle car accidents who are ready to serve you. For your free consultation with our talented legal team, please call our law office today.