Schedule a Consultation

What to Do If You Are Injured in a Hit-And-Run Motorcycle Crash

January 10, 2024
Hit-And-Run Motorcycle Crash

When you’re the victim of a motorcycle accident, you can pursue compensation for your losses. However, what happens if the other driver flees the scene, and you don’t know who to hold accountable?

If you or someone you love was in a hit-and-run motorcycle accident, get medical help. Contact officials. Then, you may benefit from the help of a motorcycle accident attorney. An experienced lawyer can help you determine how to pursue compensation for your losses during this difficult time.

What Are Motorcycle Hit-and-Run Accidents?

In a hit-and-run accident, one driver leaves the scene of the accident without ensuring that everyone is okay and exchanging insurance information. It is against the law to flee the scene of the accident in this manner. In many states, you must also call the police if anyone is injured. 

Motorcycle hit-and-run accidents are especially serious, as the motorcyclist has little protection against the force of the car and can sustain serious injuries. Without a clear liable party, hit-and-run motorcycle accidents become complex. 

Steps to Take After You Are Injured in a Hit-And-Run Motorcycle Accident 

When you’re injured in a hit-and-run motorcycle accident, stay calm and follow these steps.

Evaluate Your Injuries

You might not immediately feel the pain of your injuries due to the adrenaline rush from the accident. Before you move, look for any signs of injury, such as swelling, bruising, or bleeding. 

Common injuries from motorcycle accidents include: 

  • Broken bones
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Spinal cord injury
  • Internal organ damage

If you’re able to, move yourself and your motorcycle out of the way of traffic. 

Call the Police

It’s crucial to call the police when you’re involved in an accident. Upon arrival, they will fill out a detailed accident report describing the accident scene, the road conditions, eyewitness testimonies, and any other relevant information. 

If you were able to catch any details about the car that hit you, such as the color, model, or partial license plate number, offer this information to the police.

Collect Evidence 

If you’re able to, collect as much evidence from the scene as possible. Take pictures and videos of tire marks, broken glass, and any damage the car left behind. You might also collect contact information from witnesses if any are available. This will all be essential when you pursue compensation with the help of a motorcycle accident attorney. If you’re unable to do this yourself, ask someone to collect evidence for you.

Seek Medical Treatment

When you’re in a motorcycle accident, you’ll likely sustain injuries. Seek medical treatment as soon as possible. These records will act as evidence of the extent of your injuries if you pursue compensation. 

Notify Your Insurance

Notify your auto insurance about the accident. Unless the police can identify the hit-and-run driver, you must file a first-party hit-and-run claim with your own insurance company. As long as you didn’t cause the accident, this will cover medical bills and property damage up to the limits of your policy. 

Contact a Motorcycle Accident Attorney

Finally, contact a motorcycle accident lawyer. If the police identify the hit-and-run driver, a lawyer can help you pursue damages through settlement negotiation or a personal injury lawsuit. 

A lawyer may help you pursue legal action against other liable parties if the driver remains unidentified. For example, if poor road conditions contributed to your accident, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the negligent government entity responsible for road maintenance. 

Injured in a Hit-and-Run Motorcycle Accident? Contact Fadduol, Cluff, Hardy & Conaway, P.C.

When pursuing compensation after a hit-and-run, you need a motorcycle accident attorney with vast industry knowledge and experience. The lawyers at Fadduol, Cluff, Hardy & Conaway, P.C. have decades of experience with motorcycle accident cases. Call (800) 433-2408 to schedule a free consultation.