A car accident can leave you severely injured.
In some cases, you can even be facing long-term or permanent disabilities from the injuries you sustain in a car accident.
When you are in this position, you can file a personal injury claim to pursue monetary compensation for the losses you suffer due to the accident.
Also, many injured victims are not aware of the type and extent of the compensation they are entitled to receive. Successfully recovering compensation requires the victim to prove that the other party’s negligence caused him or her to be injured and to suffer specific damages.
So what are you entitled to in a car accident?
Compensation for your Medical Expenses
Through a personal injury claim, you can pursue monetary compensation for all of your medical expenses. These include:
- Medication costs;
- Therapy costs;
- Costs associated with a permanent disability;
- The cost of medical equipment like crutches; and
- The long-term costs associated with your medical care, like in-home care due to your reduced mobility.
Compensation for your Lost Wages
Additionally, you can pursue compensation for your lost wages through a personal injury claim. These are more than the wages you cannot immediately earn because of your time out of work to recover; they include all of the following:
- Compensation for your reduced lifetime earnings due to a reduced or completely eliminated work capacity;
- Compensation for lost job benefits; and
- Compensation for the career advancement opportunities you now cannot access.
GET HELP WITH YOUR ACCIDENT
We provide free consultations.
Compensation for your Pain and Suffering
Pain and suffering damages are the damages that do not fit into either of the categories listed above.
Some people mentally separate out-of-pocket expenses from the intangible damages a victim suffers, whereas others think of both as types of pain and suffering damages. In either case, you can pursue compensation for these damages through a personal injury claim.
Pain and suffering damages include:
- Your reduced quality of life due to the injury;
- Out-of-pocket costs like transportation costs, mobility aids, over-the-counter medication, and hired domestic help while you recover;
- The cost of psychological counseling to work through your emotional and psychological suffering; and
- Your emotional trauma.
There is also a fourth category of compensation some car accidents victim pursue: property damage.
Accident claims do not cover property damage, but liability claims do. Because of this, your personal injury lawyer can discuss the process of filing a liability claim with you and direct you toward useful resources.
Our Team of Odessa Car Accident Lawyers Can Get What You Are Entitled to
If you sustain injuries from a car accident, you can pursue monetary compensation for all of the damages listed above through a personal injury claim.
To learn more about your personal injury claim rights, contact our team of car accident lawyers at Fadduol, Cluff, Hardy & Conaway, P.C. today to set up your initial legal consultation in our office.