What Should You Do as a Construction Worker Injured in a Worksite Fall?

Considering the constant activity, massive equipment, and numerous work crews that are the norm on a construction worksite, it’s no wonder that injuries from falls are common.

In fact, the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration places falls on its “Construction Fatal 4” list almost every year; these deadly accidents were responsible for 39 percent of all fatalities in the construction industry in 2017, and thousands more were injured in such incidents.

you suffered harm because of a work-related fall, it’s essential to take proper
action right away. Your construction and worksite injuries lawyer can assist you with many of the critical tasks,

1. Take Care of Your Medical Needs: Your health is your first priority, both to
ensure you can get back on the job quickly and
to protect your rights in a potential claim. Head straight to the emergency
room as necessary, or visit an urgent care center for same-day treatment. Even
if you think your injuries are minor, make sure you see a doctor 24-48 hours.

2. Notify Your Employer: Many work-related claims, including those
stemming from construction accidents, require that you tell your employer about
the incident and your injuries. Most companies have an internal policy for
notification purposes, so follow the established procedures. Include as much
detail as possible when reporting the incident, such as:

  • The time, date,
    and location of the accident;
  • How the incident
  • Any witnesses who
    observed the accident;
  • A brief
    description of your injuries; and,
  • Other basic

3. Document Everything: Once you’re physically able, take time to write
down everything you can remember about the accident. This is a personal journal
to assist with memory recall in case you need to describe the circumstances
weeks or months later. In addition, continue to take notes as you’re recovering
from your injuries. Document every doctor’s appointment, meeting with
specialists, and other care you receive. If you spend any amounts out-of-pocket
for your care, keep the receipts with your journal for potential reimbursement
through your claim.

4. Get Legal Help: After your condition stabilizes, you should reach
out to an attorney who focuses on workplace accidents – especially those in the
construction industry. You may be entitled to benefits through your state’s
workers’ compensation system, so you could receive amounts to cover your
medical costs, lost wages, and other losses.

most cases, workers’ comp may be your sole remedy as a victim. However, in
others, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit. Your lawyer can
describe the differences between these two approaches, and advise you on the
best way to proceed.

Contact a Construction and Worksite
Accident Attorney to Discuss Your Claim

To learn about additional tasks and a lawyer can help with construction fall injuries, please contact Fadduol, Cluff, Hardy & Conaway, P.C.

You can reach us toll-free at 800.433.2408 or visit us online to set up a free consultation. Our team serves workplace accident victims in Texas, New Mexico, and North Dakota, and we’re happy to assist with your claim.


1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(No Ratings Yet)