Finding a Car Accident Lawyer in Hobbs
Most of us do the right thing when operating our vehicles. We check for blind spots, don’t text and drive, and follow all traffic rules. Unfortunately, some drivers don’t take the same common-sense precautions to ensure the safety of others.
Accidents can happen when we least expect them, causing substantial disruption to our lives. It may be challenging to know what steps to take next as you recover from your injuries. Ensure you receive the compensation you deserve by contacting an auto accident lawyer in Hobbs, NM.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Accidents occur daily in and throughout Hobbs and statewide in New Mexico.
Some of the most common causes of car accidents include the following:
- Distracted driving (such as texting and driving),
- Speeding or driving recklessly,
- Driving while fatigued,
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol,
- Driving while drowsy or exhausted, and
- Failure to obey traffic rules such as adhering to stop signs and stoplights.
In any of these common causes contributed to your car accident, your auto accident lawyer in Hobbs, NM, will use this information to establish the fault of the negligent driver.
How Is Fault Determined?
New Mexico is an at-fault state, meaning that the at-fault driver is responsible for any damages caused by a car accident. Most driver’s car insurance policies cover damages in an accident.
However, an experienced Hobbs auto accident attorney knows that many insurance policies may be insufficient to adequately cover the damages an injured victim suffers in an accident. When this occurs, an attorney typically recommends their client file a lawsuit to pursue compensation in court.
What Are the Car Insurance Requirements in New Mexico?
New Mexico requires registered drivers to carry minimum car insurance to protect others.
The minimum auto insurance required in New Mexico is commonly referred to as 25/50/10:
- $25,000 for bodily injury or death of one person,
- $50,000 for bodily injury or death of two or more persons, and
- $10,000 for property damage in any one accident.
However, it’s recommended that many drivers obtain additional policies on top of the mandatory requirements, including the following:
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage—Insured motorists concerned about being in an accident with an uninsured motorist may purchase this insurance, ensuring coverage of their losses after an accident.
- Medical Payments Coverage—MPC coverage pays for reasonable expenses you and your passengers may incur due to injuries suffered in an accident, regardless of fault.
- Collision and Comprehensive—Collision insurance pays for damages to your car caused by another vehicle, an object, or a rollover.
Purchasing coverage amounts higher than New Mexico’s minimum amount ensures you possess adequate coverage if involved in a serious accident. Your Hobbs car accident attorney may also investigate the coverage amounts of the at-fault driver in your accident and determine whether more compensation may be available.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Hobbs, NM, Help Me?
A skilled attorney provides invaluable assistance to their clients after a car accident. As you attempt to recover from your injuries, your attorney helps in numerous ways so you can focus on getting back on your feet.
Most car accident lawsuits are complex, and attorneys can assist in the following ways:
- Gather evidence and establish support for your damages claim;
- Communicate with insurance companies;
- Organize your invoices, bills, receipts, and other expenses;
- Negotiate with an insurance company regarding coverage of your losses;
- Negotiate a just settlement on your behalf; and
- Prepare your case for trial and obtain a favorable judgment on your behalf;
Car accident lawsuits are complex and require the assistance of an attorney. Without their support, you risk losing out on the compensation that you deserve.
What Can My Hobbs Car Accident Attorney Help Me Recover?
New Mexico permits the recovery of compensatory damages after a car accident which seeks to make an injured victim whole after suffering losses. New Mexico splits compensatory damages into two categories: economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages represent tangible and calculable losses directly related to your car accident.
These damages may be calculated with certainty and are based on the following losses:
- Past and future medical expenses,
- Lost wages,
- Future loss of earnings, and
- Property damage.
Your car accident attorney must support a finding for economic damages through receipts, invoices, pay stubs, and other evidence.
It’s relatively easy to prove your economic damages as long as you maintain a record of your expenses and losses. For example, the injuries suffered in an accident may make it impossible for a person to continue working the same job. Instead, due to their injuries, they must take a lower-paying job.
Non-economic damages include subjective losses directly related to your injuries. Injuries suffered in a car accident often create emotional and psychological effects that vary significantly from person to person.
Non-economic damages include the following:
- Pain and suffering,
- Emotional distress,
- Permanent disfigurement or loss of limb, and
- Loss of consortium.
Without the assistance of a qualified Hobbs car accident lawyer, it’s complicated to establish a claim for non-economic damages. However, the importance of non-economic damages should never be understated.
Those seriously injured may encounter pain every time they undertake an activity that previously brought them joy. Obtaining compensation for this kind of loss may make it easier for some injured victims to move forward with their lives and get the assistance they need.
Since 1984, the attorneys at Fadduol, Cluff, Hardy & Conaway, P.C., have focused their practice on helping those seriously injured through no fault of their own. Each attorney at our firm is dedicated, experienced, and passionate about achieving the best possible results for their clients.
Through our combined legal experience, we have secured multiple million-dollar settlements for our clients. We understand that suffering injuries in a car accident can often leave you reeling. No one deserves to feel this way.
While no amount of money can ever take back your terrible experience, we know that compensation can get you on the path forward to recovery. Contact us online or call (800) 433-2408 for a free consultation.